In the commercial and professional market display systems differ in many significant respects and are far from the commoditization of the consumer monitor market. The differences are both external and internal:
- Panel choice: Brightness and temperature range are two obvious and significant factors as well as color, resolution, viewing angle and even shape.
- Enclosure design: Size, shape, ruggedness and controls.
- User interface: Very likely to be quite different with presets for specific functions, different type of controls such as a joystick or remote activation.
- Signal inputs: Aside from standards such as HD-SDI there are many custom signal requirements.
- Power supply: Especially in transport and industrial equipment display systems are likely to have different power supply requirements.
- Environmental: Resilience against dust, humidity and other that require conformal coated electronics.
- Compliance: A major factor can be the specific compliance requirements for a market application such as for medical or commercial marine.
- Lifetime & Lifecycle: Not just operating lifetime but also the production lifecycle of the components – we often have to supply the same LCD controller for over 5 years.
The above are just some headline differences but provide a clear indication how many permutations of display system design there can be to meet different niche market requirements. It is an exciting market with considerable scope for creativity and innovation.