A quick look at a few LED type LCD panel sizes, resolution and ppi (Pixels Per Inch:
- 27” 2560 x 1440: The ppi is 109 pixels per inch.
- 24” 1920 x 1200: The ppi is 94 pixels per inch.
- 15.6” 1920 x 1080: The ppi is 141 pixels per inch.
To put this in some context:
- Laser print quality 20 years ago was 300dpi and models with this resolution are still available, for some time now 600dpi has been normal and 1200dpi is readily available. Even 2400 dpi is available but expensive.
- Inkjet printers typically offer 1200dpi or higher, up to around 4800 dpi.
- Amazon Kindle Paperwhite is 212 ppi.
- Apple iPad Retina is 264 ppi (older iPad 2 is 132 ppi).
- Apple iPad Mini is 163 ppi.
- Apple iPhone 4 & 5 is 326 ppi.
- HTC One is 468 ppi.
- Per Ray Soneira, human vision is at best capable of resolving 600 ppi from 10 inches.